Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Sunday, July 25, 2010

First ER trip

About 10 days ago we took our first trip to the ER for Chase. He and I were at the splash pad on a REALLY hot day, it was crazy busy. Chase, being the shy guy that he is, was just running around the outside of the pad watching all of the kids. I say to him "Chase, if you aren't going to get in then we'll just go home". Well that was a mistake. The first time he runs in he crashes into a MUCH larger kid than him, gets knocked over, and landed on the bottom of the pile. I just saw the tail end of the crash but then see Chas get up screaming with blood running down his face. He was wearing his sunglasses so I think that's what cut him. He had a really deep cut and when the bleeding stopped it was decided that he would probably need stitches. We called Chad(who was at the grocery store) and went to the ER. I was shocked at how well he did in the ER. He let the nurses weigh him, take his vitals and clean the cut all without a fight. The nurses told us it would be painful and sting when he got the numbing medication. I did not think I could handle any of this part so I left the room. I know....I know....I'm a nurse....but almost passed out myself while in the OR for my surgery rotation for nursing school. Not my department for sure!!!!! Thank goodness Chad was there and stayed with him. Chase did in fact scream and cry for the numbing medication(who wouldn't?) but was an allstar(or so Chad said, I didn't see any of it) for the sewing up. His eye has healed up very nicely, the stitches are now out and he will probably have a small scar. And we will be avoiding the splash pad on such busy days from now on, or at the very least I will not be telling Chase to run in again!!!


No comments: